Race + Reconciliation
In 2021, the vestry of Restoration Anglican Church created an advisory team that would initiate and support opportunities for reconciliation, justice, and healing from harm that had been experienced in our community because of differences in ethnicity. Team members include a vestry leader, the rector, and lay members who serve for rotating, three-year terms. Restoration is grateful for the work this team does to help our church pay attention to what is happening in our community and around the world so that our church can respond as the Lord leads us.
We invite you to read more about the vision and strategy that guide this team. If you have questions or would like more information about how to participate, please contact the team leader, Karen McNeilly.
O people, the Lord has told you what is good and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8 (NLT)
Our vision is to sow seeds of empathy in order to grow a more loving church that bears the fruit of justice in our community.
Our purpose is to initiate and support works of reconciliation and justice which we hope will consequently weave these values into the fabric of Restoration Anglican Church.
Four missions have emerged that give tangible reality to our pursuit of reconciliation and justice:
To equip and engage the full Restoration community for joining in God’s work of racial reconciliation through formative learning, reflection, and repentant prayer.
We are pursuing this mission by offering regular learning opportunities. We welcome all people to engage at levels according to their experience and readiness through small groups and events. “Joining the Conversation” small groups and events are for those trying to familiarize themselves with America’s racial landscape and how their lives and faith interact with it. “Engaging More Deeply” small groups and events are for those who have gained a basic understanding of the problem and want to learn how to respond faithfully. We encourage you to look for small groups focused on racial justice when registration opens each trimester and to be on the lookout for evening seminars and workshops that happen a few times a year.
Partnering with Organizations for Racial Reconciliation and Justice
To build relationships and partner with local organizations and churches that promote and engage in work to repair the effects of racial injustice. We are pursuing this mission by:
- Building relationships and exploring a partnership with the Community for Racial healing. This is a network of local majority black and majority white churches that is focused on working together to promote racial justice and reconciliation. This group wants to expand to more than the focus on black/white relationships.
- Partnering with other like-minded Christian agencies in the area. We take advantage of their offerings for racial justice events, book groups, field trips, etc.
Sunday Worship at Restoration
To increase the visibility of people of color in our church life.
We are pursuing this mission by:
- Supporting the Restoration Clergy Development Program This program provides training primarily to women and people of color who have completed seminary and are moving through the ordination process.
- Increasing visibility of people of color as church event speakers.
- Researching best practices of other churches that embrace racial reconciliation and justice.
Racial Healing (in development)
To pray for and provide instruments of healing for people in our congregation who have been harmed because of racial injustice. The team has taken on the development of this mission as a project for 2023-2024. We look forward to providing opportunities for prayer and learning that will lead to healing in the lives of our loved ones.