Friends: If you were at one of our first prayer gatherings, you may have seen me give a quick recap of the purpose of the web-site, and an even quicker recap of flickr. I’ve been promising to tell you more about flickr, the photos on the site, and how you can be a part.
What is flickr?
Flickr.com is an online photo sharing service. You upload your photos, share them with your friends, and subscribe to others photos. It’s like Facebook, only you communicate through photos.
Why would you use it?
- Keep friends and family up-to-date with your photos.
- Subscribe to friends photo-stream to see what’s going on with them.
- Research. When Corrin and I went to Spain, we did a lot of research on flickr.com — real photos from real people.
Why is RAC using it?
While this website is for those of us who regularly attend RAC, the site’s primary audience is new visitors. We blog, we use Twitter, and we use flickr to invoke a sense of community for first time visitors. Nothing says, “These are real people, living a real life” like photos of our real lives together, and at home.
People in our area long for community, and RAC is a warm place that can meet that need. Our site is designed to digitally convey what people will feel when the walk in our doors — to give them a taste of the “real” RAC. That’s why we’re sharing our photos — sharing our lives — on our website.
Flickr is a visual way for us to tell the story of Restoration Anglican Church.
How is RAC using flickr?
- It would make my day if you all signed up for flickr and started sharing photos! If you’ve never used flickr, there is an instructional video below.
- Whenever we go to events, take photos!
- Take photos of your small groups.
- Take photos of you doing your yard-work.
- Take photos of you and your family playing sports.
- Take photos of Scott sucking at Guitar Hero.
- Once you upload a photo, tag it with “restorationarlington” and it will automatically show up on our site. That’s it! All you do is tag it, and you’re good to go.
- There is a flickr group, but I think I’m going to keep that on the back-burner until we get a few more people using it.
- You can view all the RAC flickr photo submissions here.
Questions? If you have flickr, leave your flickr username/ID in a comment (mine is music is for lovers). Let’s get going!
How do you use flickr?
In case you’ve never used flickr — here’s a quick instructional video.