1. To be honest, the sermon on doubt was a tough one to write. It is so ubiquitous, so important for a community to discuss. But, I have my own doubt that I landed us in a place where we have much hope about how to overcome doubt. (ie practically, what do you do with doubt) The challenge for me for every week is to move through my own doubt to a place of certainty in the power of God, the presence of the Spirit, and the rescue by Jesus to work in people’s lives and to believe that I have been faithful in serving up what God gave me that week (to get to faith). The alternative for me is to move through doubt to a place of fear about my performance, what people think, whether it was true, helpful, etc. A lot of Monday morning quarterbacking for preachers…
2. I spent Sunday evening and all day Monday with my fellow church planters— Patrick Ware, David Glade, Bill Haley, Johnny Kurcina, the other Timothy’s, and John Yates. We gather about once a quarter to pray, to get help, to get trained, to sleep 🙂 It’s a great 18 hours to which I really look forward. Very thankful for these men.
3. As you know, we are connected to about 30 Anglican churches in VA, DC, and Maryland. Many of them have been in a long law suit. There is a time for prayer and interaction with +Minns on Wednesday night at The Falls Church at 7:30pm. Then on Saturday, we have our annual Synod (meeting to discuss bidnez). There will be great teaching in the morning if you would like to come.
4. APEX, our middle school ministry, rocked it out on Sunday night. Swim caps, shaving cream, and cheese balls, trust falls, and a bible study on Mark 4 and faith. That’s a good time.
5. Over the summer, Restoration gave a big gift to Young Life to help them take kids from immigrant families to summer camp. On Sunday, Carlos Dimas, Young Life’s Urban and Latino Area Director will be with us to lead us in prayer for students in Arlington. I’m very thankful for this brother and partner in the Gospel (see Phil 1.5 in small group this week)
6. On October 5 at 7:30pm we will have a parish meeting. You will receive an annual report from last year. We’ll give a financial update. We’ll roll out our new database (complete with iphone app…). I’ll tell you about vestry elections and what to expect in the year to come. If Restoration is your home, this is your family meeting. Don’t miss it.