On Sunday, June 9, Bishop John Guernsey is coming to visit our congregation to confirm people in our congregation. You might be wondering what Confirmation is all about, why it is helpful, and how you might participate in confirmation.
What is Confirmation?
“After making a mature commitment to my baptismal covenant with God, I receive the laying on of the bishop’s hands with prayer.” (ACNA Catechism, Question 118)
“Confirmation is the rite through which we make a public declaration of our faith in Jesus Christ and are strengthened by the Holy Spirit to live out that faith in our lives and in the context of our church community.
When the bishop confirms you, he asks you to reaffirm the covenant of your baptism; then he lays hands on you and prays that the Holy Spirit would strengthen, empower, and sustain you. In many ways it’s pretty simple. It’s also very powerful.” Rev. Erin Bair
Why is Confirmation helpful?
“In confirmation, God strengthens the work of the Holy Spirit in me for his daily increase in my Christian life and ministry.” (ACNA Catechism, Question 119)
3 Good Reasons to be Confirmed:
- To Get Connected. Join the global and historic body of Christ, through the Anglican Communion, and identify with the larger company of saints. The Anglican Communion is a rich, global mosaic, comprised of may tribes, tongues, and nations. It is a church exploding with new life in many areas of the world.
- To Be Blessed. Receiving the laying on of hands from our Bishop and prayer for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in your life. Since the early church, leaders were commissioned for ministry by the laying on of hands, one generation to the next, all the way down to our Bishop, and then to you.
- To Confirm your Baptismal Vows. If you were baptized as an infant, this is an opportunity to present yourself publicly as a follower of Christ in the company of his people, or renew your vows (if you were baptized later in life).
How can I be Confirmed?
- If you would like to be confirmed, we are hosting a 3 week class (May 12, May 19, and June 2) on Sunday evenings to prepare for the confirmation service on Sunday, June 9. This class is a requirement to be confirmed.
- Contact Nathan Dickerson at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this class.
Want to Learn More about Confirmation?