Our New Facebook Community – Plus Getting Involved
Looking to get more involved? Here is another new way! The Facebook. The. Facebook.
One of the things I hear most is, “How did you know that?”
Almost 100% of the time my answer is the same: “It’s on the website.” (Yes, this is a gentle reminder to check the website often).
But for that .000001% of the time, we now have a Facebook community. What’s it for? And what’s that Twitter thing for? And the website? And flickr? And for that matter, what’s the internet for?
I will address the former four.
Basically, we’re using Facebook to enable us to connect with one another without needing to contact Restoration staff. There is no published email list, and that’s a good thing (security, maintenance, etc.). But we still want to be able to connect with one another. You can read blog posts, see tweets, view our calendar, and check out upcoming events — all from Facebook. Here are a few scenarios we had in mind when creating the Facebook community.
- “Hey, wanna come to my _______?”
- Did anyone else think the sermon was solid/worst ever? Let’s talk
- There is a discussion form. Chat, argue, write poems
- You can share photos, videos, links, or just leave a comment
- Asking for favors (carpooling)
- General Q&A (not of the staff)
- Your photos aren’t on flickr, but they are on Facebook. Add them!
- Logan Breed is how old?
- There are a few photo albums up there I created – feel free to add to those (I think you can…if not, just add photos to walls!)
- RSVP for the Fall Retreat event (unofficially, of course)
“But, I’m not on Facebook.” Well, now you have a great reason to be! This is an awesome way for newcomers to get plugged in right away, or convince them to check us out as they see us living life together.
Here’s our group – become a fan!
David’s on Twitter, and so are a bunch of us. You should be too! Now, if you add the hashtag #restorationva to your tweets a few things will happen:
- Those of us who follow that tag will find you, and follower you
- Your tweet will appear on our web site (coming soon)
- Your tweet will appear on our Facebook community page
If you’re not sure what’s happening in at Restoration do three things:
- Subscribe to the blog (via email, or RSS)
- Regularly check the Calendar
- Add the Google Calendar to your own Google Account
- Join the Facebook community
Basically, unless it’s an emergency or you’re part of a leadership team you will never get an email directly from Restoration staff. If you do the above four things, you’ll be in the loop.
- Right now the blog houses announcements as well as David’s thoughts. Sometime in the next few months, that will change. Announcements will be subscribe-able outside of the blog so you can keep them separate.
Add your own photos to the site! A big thanks to everyone who continues to keep our photo pool updated. If you haven’t looked in awhile, check it out!
There’s a ton more in the works so stay tuned! And join the Facebook community!