It was great to be with y’all on Sunday. I know I was only gone for one Sunday (july 3) but it felt like it had been a long time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. And that picnic… wow!
We had such a great trip to West Virginia. Thank you to the Hassells and our team leaders. They were wonderful at shepherding us from dorm to meal to job site to worship to bed.
This was my second time on the trip and it was even better than the first. As usual, it was because of the people— this time I got to know a few families and hear their stories. It really is true, we go on this trip not just to run screws and saw boards, but to bring hope and to live mercy. Really great people.
- Someone on our team made coffee every morning– a coffee angel. I used the same styrofoam cup every morning. Reminded me of how many resources I take for granted.
- My sons learned how to drill a screw into decking. When they got there, they couldn’t even hold the drill over the screw… by the end, they had drilled like 80 of them. One very patient Lauren B. is to be thanked. Reminder that our kids can do more than we think.
- We burned all of our trash. Reminder that Fun = Fire.
- There is nothing quite like the taste of an icy Coke after you have been working outside for 2 hours in the sun. Reminder of simplicity.
- Met a guy named Bill. He taught middle school for over 30 years in Philippi. He calculated all the board cuts and told me where to put stuff. He was so kind. So smart. He is that kind of guy who can do anything. Reminded me that humility is something to be cherished.
- Watched our kids (like 30 of em) play together, laugh together, entertain each other, and serve each other. Reminded of the responsibility we have for this next generation.
- Listened to the story of Ford’s Run church– the heartache, the hope, the years of living life together. Reminded of the unique value the body of Christ can bring to a community.
If you are looking for a chance to be reminded of what’s true and what’s necessary, this trip is a great opportunity to grow in your relationship with Jesus and with others.
Many thanks to everyone who made the picnic happen on Sunday. We have great ministry partners and great volunteer leaders here at Restoration. I had so much fun, so many great conversations, and one GREAT burger. Delicious.