The Arlington Turkey Trot
Restoration is sponsoring the Arlington Turkey Trot! What exactly is that you might be wondering? It’s a laid back 5K run, walk, –bring the strollers, kids or the grandparents— through the Lyon Park-Ashton Heights neighborhood at 8am Thanksgiving Day! It benefits three local organizations: AFAC, Doorways for Women and Families and Arlington-Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless.
The thing that makes this race different from most other races in the area is that it was created and is still put on solely by a small church in a residential neighborhood. Prior to 2006, Arlington did not have a Turkey Trot! Yes, hard to believe! But a small church, Christ Church of Arlington, thought of the idea of the race as an outreach to their community. So come out and get inspired as to what Restoration could do for our neighborhood in Arlington too!
Register for the race here!
If you don’t want to run the race, why not volunteer?
Bring your small group! Email Mary Ann Calhoun Contact me if you have questions, I’ve volunteered for this event a couple times.
TURKEY TROT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES Pre-Race Events:
- Packet stuffing party: stuffing “goody bags” for race participants at Christ Church on Monday, 11/23 around 7 pm – usually takes about 1 1/2 hours and is a lot of fun!
- Packet pick-up at Pacer’s Running Store in Clarendon: helping out at the store as racers come in to pick up their packets in advance of race day – we will have two-hour shifts available all day on Tuesday, 11/24 and Wednesday, 11/25 from 12 pm – 6 or 8 pm
Race Day Events, Thursday, 11/26:
- Registration: volunteers needed to assist with various registration tables. Volunteers should arrive at 6:15 am and will be done shortly after 8 am. Please note that registration volunteers CAN run in the race if interested.
- Course Marshals: volunteers needed to monitor the race course on race day.
- Finish line: volunteers needed to assist Pacers with runner flow and retrieving timing chips as racers cross the finish line. Volunteers should arrive by 7:45 am and will be done by 9:30 am.
- Food and beverage volunteers: at the church, along the race route and the finish line/Lyon Park.
- Clean-Up Crew to put away tables, clean up trash, return coffee canisters to Starbucks, etc.