Stuff a box. Change a life.
What do a yo-yo, packs of lifesavers, match box cars, small flashlights with extra batteries, magic markers, socks, Spiderman/Hello Kitty toothbrushes, and a penpal-ish note from my son, have in common? These were some of the items we stuffed into our shoeboxes last November for Samaritan’s Purse’s Operation Christmas Child (OCC). And just a few weeks later, just before Christmas 2011, we learned that OCC shipped our boxes to Mali. It was so exciting to find out where our shoeboxes went and that we were able to send the message of Christ’s joy and love halfway around the globe!
This year I hope you will join Restoration friends in helping OCC’s efforts to send Christmas shoeboxes to the neediest children all around the world. Check out this year’s video here.
Please note that the children receiving our shoeboxes will also be offered a copy of “The Greatest Gift of All” booklet in their own language by local churches and ministry partners. Thus, OCC is not just providing shoebox gifts for children living in dire circumstances, but is a tangible expression of Jesus’ love AND an opportunity to tell children we have never met that Jesus is their Lord and Savior.
PACKING A SHOEBOX:
1) Please pick up a “Ready-to-Go” box at Restoration through Nov. 11th (or until supplies run out). Or use a standard size empty shoe box or shoebox-sized plastic container. You may gift wrap the box (lid separately), but wrapping is not required.
2) Use the label from the Operation Christmas Child brochure or print out a label from Operation Christmas Child’s website. You may also print a label after making your online donation ($7 per box). Using the online option of payment will enable you to “Follow Your Box” (to find out where your shoebox was delivered).
3) Once you have your label, determine whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the child’s age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Mark the correct age category on the label, and tape the label to the top of your box.
4) Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child. For ideas visit this link.
5) If you did not use the “Follow Your Box” online donation option, please write a $7 check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the gift items inside your box. If you and your family are preparing more than one shoebox, please make one combined donation.
6) Place a rubber band around each closed shoe box and drop them off at Restoration Sunday, Nov. 11th or Sunday, Nov. 18th. We will deliver them to the OCC relay center for you!
Any questions? Please send me a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
October 5, 2016 @ 9:39 am
Give Generously – But do no harm…
There are ethical and theological reasons for you to reconsider your support of the Samaritan’s Purse Shoe Box Ministry.
a fellow Anglican Christian